Preparing For Your Child's Baptism
During the months of pregnancy and preparing to welcome new life into your family, it is important for you as Christian parents to plan for your child's Baptism and welcome into the Church. The sacrament of Baptism begins your child's faith life as a member of the Catholic Christian community.
Baptism Preparation Class
- If this is your first child or if you have not previously attended the Baptism Preparation Class, please contact the parish office to register for the class. The godparents for your child are welcome to attend the class with you. We encourage you to participate in this class before your baby is born.
- Classes are usually held on the first Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. in the Church Conference Room. However, to be sure that it will be on that day, please inquire when you register for the class.
Schedule the Baptism
- After the birth of your child, contact the parish office to schedule a date for the Baptism. Baptisms are usually twice a month on Sundays, after the 11 a.m. Mass. Please see the Parish Calendar to view upcoming dates.
- On the Sunday of the Baptism, a Baptism coordinator will greet you and help you get ready to begin the Baptism.
- The parent(s) must be registered parishioners of St. Maria Goretti Catholic Church. Non-parishioners need a letter of delegation from their parish priest.
- At least one Godparent must be a practicing Catholic, at least 16 years of age, and confirmed in the Catholic faith. A non-Catholic may stand as a witness of the Baptism; she/he must be baptized in a Christian faith and be of sufficient age and maturity to understand his/her role of supporting the parents in bringing up the child as a Christian.
To register for the class or to schedule the Baptism, please contact the parish office at email@example.com or 608-271-7421.
For adults wishing to become Baptized, see Becoming Catholic (RCIA).
Return to Sacraments
Support Our Parish
In gratitude for God’s generosity, we dedicate a sacrificial portion of our gifts of time, talent, and treasure to serve Christ and His Church by supporting the needs of our parish.