First Communion Prep
First Communion Update 2019-2020
For students preparing to receive their First Holy Communion in Spring 2020, new dates have been scheduled. The sacrament of First Holy Communion will take place at weekend Masses from August 15 through September 27. A maximum of six students may sign up at each Mass to help regulate the number of guests at each Mass.
Retreat Videos & Questions - Since families were not able to attend the Retreat schedule in March, please watch videos below and answer the questions to complete your sacramental preparation.
- Watch Retreat Video 1 - The Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
Answer Retreat Video 1 Questions
- Watch Retreat Video 2 - The Receiving of First Communion
Answer Retreat Video 2 Questions
First Reconciliation & First Communion Preparation (Grade 2)
Children will celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation before receiving First Holy Communion. Preparing a child for these two Sacraments is a sacred responsibility shared with parents and family members as well as the clergy and staff of St. Maria Goretti.
When your child receives Christ’s gift of forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation and the gift of Himself in First Holy Communion, it strengthens our own faith and brings us closer to God and each other.
- Your child should be entering 2nd grade to being preparation for these sacraments.
- Your child should have completed the previous year of formal religious education. If not, he/she may be asked to complete additional instruction as needed to bring them to the level of understanding needed to receive these sacraments.
- Please enroll your child in Religious Education
- If your child attends SMG School, another Catholic School, or is home schooled, please contact us for registration details.
- If your child is older than 2nd grade and/or has not yet been baptized, he/she should participate in the Religious Education program at their grade level and will be asked to complete some additional home instruction to prepare for these sacraments.
Expectations for Families
- At least one parent/guardian should be a registered, practicing, active member of St. Maria Goretti Parish.
- Parents and children should attend Sunday Mass each week.
- Families are to attend all parent meetings and events outlined in the calendar.
- Families should complete the parent resources and service hours listed below.
Sign up for FORMED
Parent resources can be found on FORMED. If you have not already signed up for a free account, please follow the instructions on our FORMED page.
First Reconciliation Preparation
- Listen to Confession by Fr. Larry Richards on FORMED
Answer the Confession Questions
- Listen to 7 Secrets of Confession by Vinny Flynn on FORMED or read the book
Answer the 7 Secrets of Confession Questions
First Communion Preparation
- Listen to Presence - Session 2: The Story of the Eucharist on FORMED
Answer the Presence - Session 2 Questions
- Listen to Presence - Session 3: Bread for the Journey on FORMED
Answer the Presence - Session 3 Questions
Return to Religious Education
Religious Education Coordinator
Support Our Parish
In gratitude for God’s generosity, we dedicate a sacrificial portion of our gifts of time, talent, and treasure to serve Christ and His Church by supporting the needs of our parish.